Mascot 28 is the successor of the LM series with enhanced specifications. Built by Gesten Boats, Denmark and designed by Palle Mortensen, Kristina is a comfortable, well made, thought out seaworthy sailing cruiser. Classed as a motor sailor with her wheel house, but with a good balanced fractional rig, she delivers a fun, safe sailing performance.
White GRP hull and superstructure with blue inlays. Deck of GRP on balsa sandwich construction. Teak interior. Encapsulated cast iron fin keel. Semi-balanced GRP rudder. Wheelhouse with inside wheel steering position. Cockpit with tiller steering. Dual engine controls. Teak laid cockpit seats and floor.
Self-draining cockpit with gas and rope lockers. Removable cockpit table, and full cockpit cover.
Annual maintenance and antifouled July 2018.
Engine & Mechanics
Volvo Penta 2003 series, 28hp three-cylinder inboard marine diesel driving a three-bladed bronze propellor. Volvo shaft seal renewed June 2014. The engine has been well maintained serviced annually. Average fuel consumption about 1.5L per hour.
240v ring main with inlet in cockpit for cable for shore power. Three-pin sockets in wheelhouse/galley, saloon and forward cabin. RCD box in side cupboard in saloon.
SMART charger to keep both batteries charged when connected to shore power.
12v domestic electrical supply comprising two batteries (one exclusively for engine starting the other for domestic use) with isolator switches.
Wiring in place for fridge and capstan anchor winch.
- Stainless steel diesel tank capacity 25 gallons (100 litres).
- Stainless steel water tank capacity 25 gallons (100 litres)
- Electric pump for pressurised water supply to galley and wash basin in heads.
Accommodation and layout
Kristina has seven berths in a two cabin layout and saloon, three singles and two doubles. Green upholstery in all cabins in good condition and beige curtains. Eberspacher warm air ducted heating with four outlets for the colder months.
Forecabin with two berths and infill converting to double. Hanging wardrobe, shelves and locker. Plenty of stowage under bunks and fore hatch gives good ventilation.
Heads compartment with toilet and sliding wash basin with pressurised water. Locker, stowage shelf and fittings. Two level lighting for night passages.
Saloon with settee berth converting to double berth to starboard, central table and settee/single berth to port. Bottle stowage in table. Full range of shelves and lockers for drinking glasses and other stores. Stowage for bedding behind seat backs. Further extensive stowage under berths. Brass clock and barometer. Radio cassette with saloon and wheelhouse speakers.
Wheelhouse with wooden steering wheel, helmsman's seat, engine controls, chart table and instruments. Sliding hatch over seat. Two-level lighting for night passages.
Stowage under helmsman's seat. Full access to engine, filters, seacocks, shaft seal and sensors under wheelhouse floor. Good sound proofing. Manual bilge pump. Access to stowage area under cockpit.
Galley with double sink and pressurised water. Two burner Plastimo Neptune stove with grill and oven. Two level-lighting for night passages. Stowage under sink and cooker for pots, pans, utensils. Fitted lockers for crockery and cutlery.
Aft cabin with two berths accessed from rear of cockpit. Stowage underneath berths.
Two-level lighting for night passages. Access to stowage area under cockpit.
Sails and Rigging
Bermudan fractional sloop rigged with alloy mast and spars by John Masts of Denmark.
Stainless steel standing rigging and Terylene running rigging.
- Mainsail by Goacher (2015) lightly used
- Furling genoa by Goacher (2015) lightly used
- Mainsail slab reefing with all lines led aft to cockpit
- Plastimo 809S headsail roller-reefing system
- Stack pack for mainsail (2007)
- Spinnaker pole
- Stainless steel pulpit and pushpit.
- Stainless steel stanchions and double guard wires.
- 2 Lewmar 30ST self-tailing genoa winches.
- 1 Lewmar 8 spinnaker/halyard winch on mast.
- 2 Meissner 16 winches for main halyard/reefing lines.
- Stoppers for all halyards and reefing lines.
- Delta anchor on twin roller bow fitting with approx. 30m 8mm galvanised chain and further 20m+ of warp.
- Stainless steel transom boarding ladder.
- ICOM DSC VHF (2006), linked to
- Garmin GPSmap 276C (2005) with chart display.
- Stowe Dataline log, speed, depth and wind.
- Stowe Dataline electronic and demountable magnetic compasses.
- Autohelm 2000 autopilot.
- Firdell Blipper radar reflector.
- Navigation lights and deck light.
This Mascot 28 was built to the special requirements of the original owner for use in the English Channel rather than the Baltic and was displayed at the 1992 Southampton Boat Show by the importers. Modifications from the standard specification included:
- Roller furling genoa;
- Double slab reefing on mainsail with all lines led back to the cockpit;
- Lewmar self-tailing winches;
- Additional winches to aft of cockpit on starboard and port sides for reefing lines and other lines;
- Additional winch on mast for halyards;
- Re-design of galley to provide full cooking facilities, allowing meals to be served easily to both cockpit and saloon, leaving saloon uncluttered and therefore more spacious;
- Full enclosure of wheelhouse by doors.
|Length:||27.72ft / 8.45m|
|Num Cabins:||Two Cabin|